• Family-based immigrant visa categories

The Immigration and Nationality Act allows U.S. Citizens and lawful permanent residents to petition for their foreign relatives to enter the United States and obtain lawful permanent residence. USCIS (United States Citizenship and Immigration Service, formally known as the I.N.S.) categorizes the availability of immigrant visas for family-based petitions in either an “Immediate Relative” (IR) or “Family Preference” category.

Immediate Relative Category: This category has no limit on the number of visas issued each year and there is no wait other than the period of time it takes the USCIS to process the visa petition. 

The following fall under the Immediate Relative Category:

  • Spouse or unmarried child under the age of 21 of a U.S. Citizen
  • Spouse of deceased U.S. Citizens, under certain circumstances
  • Parents of U.S. Citizens, provided the citizen petitioner is at least 21 years of age
  • Step-children of U.S. Citizens provided the child was under the age of 18 when the marriage creating the step-relationship occurred

Family Preference Category: This category places family petitions in a preference order. Persons subject to the preference category system must wait for their visa to become available. The U.S. Department of State releases a monthly Visa Bulletin which reports the availability of immigrant visas. The Visa Bulletin can be found on the U.S. Department of State’s website. For ease of reference, click here: Client Resources 

The preference order is listed below: 

  • First Preference: Unmarried sons and daughters (21 years of age or older) of U.S. Citizens.
  • Second Preference: Spouses and unmarried sons and daughters (under the age of 21) of lawful permanent residents:
    • F2A: Spouse and children of lawful permanent residents 
    • F2B: Unmarried sons and daughters (over 21 years of age) of lawful permanent residents 
  • Third Preference: Married sons and daughters of U.S. Citizens 
  • Fourth Preference: Brothers and sisters of U.S. Citizens
  • Cuban Adjustment Act

The Cuban Adjustment Act allows for Cuban natives, citizens and certain family members living in the United States who meet eligibility requirements to apply to become lawful permanent residents (green card holders).

Need Immediate Help?
Call Us:
(305) 860-9333